Our work spans from basic to applied research that aims to help create more innovative solutions to address different environmental problems. We apply spatial information and data science tools to address environmental challenges. We collaborate closely with industry to create more positive outcomes. Our global and regional research projects is focussed on the broader impacts of global environmental change and resource use on different coastal, terrestrial and marine environments. Our work is mainly divided into four main themes, which encompass different projects.
You can read more about our research projects using the links below:
Socio-ecological systems & Environmental informatics
- The impacts of climate change on coral reefs’ connectivity and the implications on marine biodiversity conservation and socioeconomics
- Vulnerability of Coastal Communities to Climate Change
- Billfish Interactions, Livelihoods, and Linkages for Fisheries sustainability in the Western Indian Ocean (BILLFISH – WIO) project
- Transboundary governance of species’ refugia under climate change
Environmental Policy & Management
- An assessment of global tree inventory completeness at an ecoregional scale
- Strengthening the WIO Marine Protected Area Network
- Developing the Kenya-Tanzania marine transboundary conservation area
- Political economy and institutional effectiveness of coral reef restoration in the Philippines
- Regional Marine Spatial Planning Strategy for the Western Indian Ocean
- Review and rezoning of the Quirimbas National Park, Mozambique
- Understanding coral reef bleaching events through a systematic analysis of different ocean temperature data
- Bandari Bora – Spatial Planning of Climate SMART and resilient Port Cities in the WIO region
- Miji Bora Project – Smart & Sustainable cities
The Spatial Decisions Group is a multi-disciplinary research group based mostly in Macquarie University, Australia. We conduct applied research in collaboration with research institutions, conservation NGOs, development organisations, and governments to help develop solutions for both terrestrial and marine environmental problems internationally.
Visit the Macquarie University website for post-graduate study opportunities and scholarships, WIOMSA and the UNEP Nairobi Convention for research grants and job vacancies, respectively.
© Copyright, The Spatial Decisions Group 2022.